An announcement that the Hoboken International Film Festival is moving to Middletown’s Paramount Theatre is expected for Tuesday.
U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer, who supported moving the festival to Middletown and wrote a letter last month urging this, will join Mayor Joe DeStefano, theater operator Nelson Page, film festival head Kenneth Del Vecchio and stars of Del Vecchio’s two latest movies at the theater at 12:45 p.m. for an announcement on the festival’s future, according to a press release from Springer Associates, the festival’s public relations firm.
This year’s festival is scheduled to run May 31 to June 6; it features 90 or more films and has drawn over 15,000 attendees over the past few years. Del Vecchio filmed much of his latest movie, “Captured Hearts,” which will premiere at the festival, at the Paramount last month. He said then that he was seriously considering moving the festival to Middletown. The festival hasn’t been in Hoboken since 2009, and Del Vecchio has been looking for a new home since last year’s theater in Jersey City was flooded during Superstorm Sandy.
UPDATE: DeStefano says that the first 25 people to arrive to tomorrow’s press conference will get all-access passes to all the movies.