Thanks for checking back. As promised in today’s blog, I’m going to share some quick, easy and healthy breakfast and lunch/dinner ideas for harried parents. Let’s face it, family meals are no longer unhurried affairs, but that doesn’t diminish their importance. In fact, family means are probably more essential than ever, given our hectic lives.
- Whole-grain toast topped with 1 ½ ounces melted reduced-fat cheddar cheese; 1 cup cubed fruit
- Mini whole wheat bagel spread with 1 tablespoon almond butter; 1 cup plain Greek yogurt mixed with ½ cup frozen pureed berries
- Plain oatmeal microwaved with 1% or fat-free milk instead of water and topped with ¼ cup raisins and 2 tablespoons chopped almonds
- Breakfast parfait: Layer 1 cup low-fat yogurt; ½ cup crunchy whole-grain cereal; and 1 cup fresh, chopped fruit, or whole fresh or frozen berries
- Banana smoothie: In a blender combine 1 cup 1% or fat-free milk, 1 medium banana, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1 ice cube. Blend well and serve with 1 slice whole grain toast.
- Store-bought roasted chicken; fresh or frozen vegetables; and a quick-cooking grain such as whole wheat couscous or quick cooking brown rice
- Whole-wheat pasta served with marinara sauce combined with leftover chopped roasted or grilled chicken or garbanzo beans added to it; garden salad; serve with fat-free milk
- Thin-crust cheese pizza topped with vegetables; garden salad with reduced-fat dressing. Serve with fat-free milk or 100% juice
- 100% ground turkey burgers or prepared veggie burgers on whole-wheat buns; cooked broccoli; serve with fat-free milk
- Reduced-fat cheese and vegetable omelets or scrambled eggs, fruit or vegetables; whole-grain toast or rolls; serve with fat-free milk
Give it a try. Till next time…enjoy the family! - Stefanie