Monroe board candidates face no opposition in November

Tony Cardone

Three Monroe Town Board candidates will run unopposed in November, the result of a major shift in town politics since 2013 and a first taste of an election without Kiryas Joel’s involvement.

The United Monroe citizens group filed independent petitions last week on behalf of town Councilman Tony Cardone, a Republican running for town supervisor, and fellow Town Board candidate Mary Bingham and town justice candidate Audra Schwartz. Cardone, Bingham and Councilman Rick Colon have no rivals for three Town Board seats. Schwartz will run against Republican Bruce Furbeck to replace Lurlyn Winchester, a one-term justice who faces federal felony charges and has been suspended.

Town Supervisor Harley Doles, elected in 2013 by Kiryas Joel’s voting blocs, filed no Republican or other party petitions in July to seek a second term. He was later said to be planning to run on an independent line with Christine Tucker, his secretary, and Kate Troiano, a former Planning Board secretary, for the three Town Board seats. But the group filed no papers by the Aug. 22 deadline.

Board control already had shifted from Doles and his allies to United Monroe-backed candidates with the election of Cardone and Councilman Mike McGinn in 2015. This year’s election will complete that movement. It coincides with Kiryas Joel’s effort to secede from Monroe and take with it the voting blocs that have long dominated town elections.

If authorized by the Orange County Legislature on Sept. 7, Monroe voters will decide in a Nov. 7 referendum – at the same election in which they vote for town candidates – whether to form a separate town for Kiryas Joel. Kiryas Joel officials and United Monroe leaders, fierce rivals in the 2013 elections and the annexation fight that followed it, are now allies in the quest to form a Town of Palm Tree. Kiryas Joel’s political parties collected petition signatures to get Doles and his allies on the ballot in 2013, but didn’t do so this year.

With the end of the candidate petitioning period, the only possible competition Monroe’s three board candidates could face in Novembers is a write-in blitz – a highly improbable threat, but one that Cardone isn’t ruling out.

“Until I get the results on Nov. 8, I’m not going to be satisfied that I am supervisor,” he said on Monday.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Rules. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or fill out this form.
  • Blog Authors

    Chris McKenna

    Chris McKenna covers Orange County government and politics for the Times Herald-Record. He has been a reporter at the newspaper since 1999. Read Full
  • Categories

  • Archives