1. Cornwall (11-1): The new No. 1! You have to go with the hottest team, 11 wins in a row. Big gun pitcher – Alyssa Bua (4-0, 0.50 ERA) – is mowing down batters. Cornwall has six wins over Class AA teams this year.
2. Minisink Valley (7-2): So you are starting a team in Section 9 and you can pick any pitcher? Many coaches would likely pick Christina Roberto, who helped the Warriors hand Valley Central its first loss of the season.
3. Valley Central (5-2): The Vikings are kind of like the Yankees – everyone wants to beat them and their bats still haven’t fully woken up.
4. Kingston (5-3): Not only beat Valley Central on Friday, Kingston pounded the Vikings 13-5. Wow, that was impressive.
5. Marlboro (8-1): Only an eighth-grader, Ashley Votta is hitting .467 (14-for-30) for the Iron Dukes.
6. Warwick (9-2): Dropped five spots in the rankings, but Warwick already has two more wins this season than it did all of last year.
7. Pine Bush (4-3): Interesting last week for the Bushmen. Pine Bush beat Newburgh and Washingtonville, a combined 4-14 this week, by a total score of 9-5. The Bushmen are still dangerous.
8. Port Jervis (6-3): Coming along, perhaps, better than expected for such a young team. Should get tested Tuesday by Delaware Valley (Pa.) and ace Lia Matz.
9. Tuxedo (6-1): Checked out some cool video on YouTube of pitcher Kelly Ross routinely hitting 55 miles per hour on the radar gun this week.
10. Livingston Manor (6-2): After some early season struggles, the Wildcats are proving they can survive life A.D. – After Diescher. Manor vs. Tuxedo on Friday.