MIDDLETOWN — By the end of the day, five teams will be crowned New York State champions in boys’ soccer here at Faller Field at Middletown High School.
I’ll be bringing you some scores and updates throughout today’s games. I will be sharing information on Twitter as well: @THR_Montgomery.
2012 New York State Public High School Athletic Association boys’ soccer championship games
Brentwood (22-1-0) vs. Arlington (22-1-0) *records updated
Arlington 2, Brentwood 1
Jeff Greblick and David Verdis scored first half goals for Arlington as the Section 1 champion upset the No. 2 ranked team in the nation.
It was the fourth state title for Arlington (22-1-0), which had also won in 1984, 1999 and 2006. The Admirals had knocked Section 9 champion Washingtonville out of the state playoffs in the quarterfinal round.
Carlos Menjivar scored for Brentwood (22-1-0) early in the second half. Brentwood was ranked No. 2 in the latest National Soccer Coaches Association of America nationwide poll.
- FINAL: Arlington 2, Brentwood 1. This game looks like it will start on time, perhaps at 1:05 p.m. or so. Game is underway at 1:15 p.m. Early in the second half, Arlington has a 2-1 lead. 32:00 to play. Running down to the field for video, check Twitter for the latest.
Jericho (20-1-1) vs. Port Chester (19-2-2) *records updated
Jericho 2, Port Chester 1
Jericho’s Zach Cohen scored in the game’s second minute and Ajani Motta scored nine minutes later as Jericho (20-1-1) of Section 8 won its second straight state title.
Bryan Suertegaray of Port Chester had a goal in the 13th minute, but that was the end of the scoring. Port Chester, of Section 1, finished 19-2-2.
- FINAL: Jericho 2, Port Chester 1. This game will start right on time. Jericho is the defending state champion. Jericho’s Zach Cohen has scored not two minutes into this game against Port Chester. 1-0 Jericho leads. Jericho’s Ajani Motta scores with 29:33 left in the first half. Jericho 2-0 over Port Chester. No lack of offense in this game. Port Chester’s Bryan Suertegaray scores off a corner kick with 26:38 left in the first half. Wow. Jericho 2, Port Chester 1. 3:24 left in the first half, still 2-1 Jericho. Halftime: Jericho 2, Port Chester 1. 26:25 left in the second half, still 2-1 Jericho. Under 20:00 to play. I’m heading down to the field for some postgame video. I’ll update on Twitter if anything happens.
Livonia (20-0-2) vs. Ichabod Crane (21-0-2) *records updated
Ichabod Crane 0, Livonia 0 (2 OT)
Ichabod Crane of Section 2 and Livonia of Section 5 were declared co-champions after playing to a scoreless draw in the final game of the day.
Both Ichabod Crane (21-0-2) and Livonia (20-0-2) ended the seasons with undefeated records after playing two 40-minute halves and two 15-minute overtime periods without scoring a goal.
- Final: Ichabod Crane 0, Livonia 0. This game is underway, right at 3:02 p.m. With 12:00 left in the first half, this game is still scoreless. Halftime here, still scoreless. Second half will begin at 3:55 p.m. Some Livonia dads had their shirts off with L-I-V-O-N-I-A painted on their chests during halftime. I got a video clip…will be posting that tonight, hopefully around 6 p.m. or so. A Crane player gets tackled in the box with 23:45 to go…but no call. Still scoreless. 15:00 to go, still scoreless. Running down to the field for video, will tweet the final score ASAP. Under 8:00 to play, still scoreless.
Port Jefferson (20-0-0) vs. Lansing (21-1-0) *records updated
Port Jefferson 1, Lansing 0
Fordham-bound senior striker Blake Bohlen scored his 33rd goal of the season with 20:24 left in the second half to lift Port Jefferson to its second straight state title. Port Jefferson, of Section 11, finished the season 20-0-0.
Lansing (21-1-0, Section 4) allowed only two goals the entire season.
- FINAL: Port Jefferson 1, Lansing 0. This game is underway. Lansing, which has allowed one goal all season – yes, you read that right – looks to get revenge against Port Jefferson, which knocked Lansing out in the state semifinals in 2011. Lansing looking for its first state title. Port Jefferson went on to win the state title. 31:00 left. Now midway through the first half. Still scoreless. Under 4:00 to play in the first half, still scoreless. Halftime, still scoreless. Midway through the second half, still scoreless. Port Jefferson takes a 1-0 lead with 20:24 left in the second half. Blake Bohlen with the goal. That’s his 33rd of the season. Under 15 to play. Heading down to the field for some postgame video.
Fort Ann (17-4-1) vs. Chazy (21-0-1) *records updated
Chazy 4, Fort Ann 0
Josh Barriere scored three goals as Chazy of Section 7 won its sixth state title since 2004. Nathan Reynolds scored the Eagles’ first goal. Chazy finished 21-0-1.
Section 2′s Fort Ann finished 17-4-1.
- FINAL: Chazy 4, Fort Ann 0. This game is underway. Started on time. 15:00 left in the first half, still scoreless. Well, that didn’t last long. With 14:55 left in the first half, Nathan Reynolds puts Chazy on the board, 1-0 over Fort Ann. Chazy scores again with 11:25 left in the first half. Looked like Josh Barriere on the goal. Chazy 2, Fort Ann 0. Halftime: Chazy 2, Fort Ann 0.