ALBANY – Will Montgomery here matside at the Times Union Center.
I’ll be posting updates periodically throughout the day, so check back for the latest.
We’ll have full coverage of the tournament in Saturday’s paper and I also hope to post a video here on the blog at some point later tonight.
- At 99 pounds, Pine Bush’s Chris Cuccolo is Section 9′s first winner of the day. He defeated South Glens Falls’ Anthon Sgorrano by pin in 4:48.
- At 106 pounds, Monroe-Woodbury’s Evan Barzcack was a 7-2 decision winner over Mitch Woodworth of Fulton in the opening round.
- At 113 pounds, Port Jervis’ Dylan Booth and Pine Bush’s John Stramiello were both winners, meaning they’ll meet again in the quarterfinal round. Booth and Stramiello wrestled for the Section 9 Division I championship, with Booth prevailing in a 3-0 decision. It was voted the most exciting match of the Section 9 championships. In the opening round, Booth pinned Massena’s Skyler Cameron in 1:01. Strameillo came from behind to beat Hendrick Hudson’s Mark Grant in an 11-9 decision.
- In Division II at 120 pounds, Onteora’s Avery Leighton lost a 1-0 decision to Windsor’s Nate Hayes.
- At 120 pounds, Monroe-Woodbury’s P.J. Smoot was pinned by Shaker’s Blake Retel in 3:10.
- At 126 pounds, Minisink Valley’s Mike Raccioppi won by pin in 50 seconds.
- At 132 pounds, we have a feel-good story, if you’re looking for one. Minisink Valley sophomore Chris Truglio, the No. 7 seed in the Section 9 tournament, won his opening round match with a 5-1 decision over West Genesee’s Connor Grome. That means Truglio is moving on to the quarterfinal round – the top eight wrestlers in the state.
- Also at 132, Washingtonville’s Bryan Mongiello lost a 9-0 decision to Sachem East’s Conor O’Hara.
- At 138 pounds, Warwick’s Thomas Wightman scores a point late in the third period to force overtime, but he wound up losing a 3-1 decision to North Rockland’s Matt Caputo.
- At 145 pounds in Division II, Highland’s Sal Mazzella loses to Codie Gillette of Saranac, 12-3.
- At 145 in Division I, Washingtonville’s Mark Milisci fell in a 6-0 decision to Brad Marvin of Ketcham.
- Section 9 finally gets a winner in Division II as Onteora’s Austin Weigel beats Tyler Keear of Geneva in a 9-1 decision.
- In Division I, Port Jervis’ Dan DeCarlo was a 6-4 victor over Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake’s Jake Ashcraft at 152 pounds.
- At 160 pounds, Section 9 had two interesting matches. Monroe-Woodbury’s J.P. Vandercliff scored a few late points to force overtime, but he lost a 5-3 decision to Monsignor Farrell’s Andrew Psomas. Port Jervis’ Travis Edwards held an 8-0 lead late in the second period, but Jericho’s Jun Yoo nearly pinned Edwards before the end of the period. Edwards was saved by the bell and hung on for a 10-7 decision.
- At 170 pounds, Newburgh Free Academy’s Kyle McGuire also scored some late points to tie his match with St. Anthony’s John Vrasidas, but Vrasidas scored a point in the final seconds of the third period to win, 7-6.
- It’s 1:27 p.m. right now and we’re at 195 pounds, more or less, on both the Division I and Division II sides. The 2 p.m. start time for quarterfinals might be a bit optimistic at this point.
- We’re through with the first round in Division II. Section 9 had just two winners among the small-school kids: Onteora’s Austin Weigel at 160 pounds and Liberty’s Andy Martinez at 182 pounds.
- Section 9′s Division I wrestlers fared much better as Cuccolo, Barzcack, Stramiello, Booth, Raccioppi, Truglio, DeCarlo, Edwards, Voelker, Bonneau and Cheeks have all advanced to the quarters.
- The quarterfinal round will begin at 2:45 p.m. or so…about 45 minutes behind schedule.
- Pine Bush’s Chris Cuccolo won his first round match, the 100th of his career, but he lost a 5-0 decision to Hilton’s Yianni Diakomihalis in the quarterfinal round.
- Port Jervis’ Dylan Booth won his rematch with Pine Bush’s John Stramiello in the state quarterfinals, winning a 7-0 decision. The two had met in the Section 9 Division I finals as well.
- Section 9 will have three state semifinalists on Saturday in Booth, Dan DeCarlo and A.J. Voelker. Section 9 had two Division II wrestlers advance to the quarterfinal round, but both of them lost those matches. Check out the full coverage in Saturday’s Times Herald-Record and on Varsity845.com. I’ll be back for live udpates from the semifinals starting at 10 a.m. on Saturday.
First round results
99 pounds: Chris Cuccolo (Pine Bush) pin Anthony Sgorrano (South Glens Falls) 4:48; Jesse Dellavecchia (East Islip) pin Vinny Vespa (Monroe-Woodbury) 3:59; 106 pounds: Evan Barzcack (Monroe-Woodbury) dec. Mitchell Woodworth (Fulton) 7-2; 113 pounds: John Stramiello (Pine Bush) dec. Mark Grant (Hendrick Hudson) 11-9; Dylan Booth (Port Jervis) pin Skyler Cameron (Massena) 1:01; 120 pounds: Blake Retell (Shaker) pin P.J. Smoot (Monroe-Woodbury) 3:10; 126 pounds: Mike Raccioppi (Minisink Valley) pin Austin Learned (Malone) 0:50; 132 pounds: Nick Truglio (Minisink Valley) dec. Connor Grome (West Genesee) 5-1; Conor O’Hara (Sachem East) dec. Bryan Mongiello (Washingtonville) 9-0; 138 pounds: Matt Caputo (North Rockland) dec. Thomas Wightman (Warwick) 3-1; 145 pounds: Brad Marvin (Ketcham) dec. Mark Milisci (Washingtonville) 6-0; 152 pounds: Daniel DeCarlo (Port Jervis) dec. Jake Ashcraft (Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake) 6-4; 160 pounds: Andrew Psomas (Monsignor Farrell) dec. J.P. Vandercliff (Monroe-Woodbury) 5-3; Travis Edwards (Port Jervis) dec. Jun Yoo (Jericho) 10-7; 170 pounds: A.J. Voelker (Monroe-Woodbury) dec. Sonny McPherson (Indian River) 9-3; John Vrasidas (St. Anthony’s) dec. Kyle McGuire (Newburgh Free Academy) 7-6; 182 pounds: James Benjamin (Vestal) pin Connor Leavell (Warwick) 3:19; 195 pounds: Nick Weber (Kings Park) dec. Deon Edmond (Kingston) 7-3; 220 pounds: Josh Bonneau (Minisink Valley) dec. Lucas Depofi (Union-Endicott) 3-0; 285 pounds: Terrence Cheeks (Newburgh Free Academy) pin Shaquille Williams (Brooklyn Tech) 4:46.
99 pounds: Derek Spann (Adirondack) tech. Fall Taylor Benson (Red Hook) 16-0; 106 pounds: Ryan O’Rourke (Adirondack) dec. Mike Felicano (Highland) 9-0; 113 pounds: Corey Hollister (Perry) dec. Austin Ingraham (Highland) 10-8; 120 pounds: Nate Hayes (Windsor) dec. Avery Leighton (Onteora) 1-0; 126 pounds: Laken Cook (Ilion) maj. dec. Matt Rauch (Red Hook) 10-0; 132 pounds: Tyler Cassidy (Fredonia) pin Sean Cramsie (New Paltz) 0:39; 138 pounds: Nick Tighe (Phoenix) pin Luis Garcia (Red Hook) 1:40; 145 pounds: Codie Gillette (Saranac) dec. Sal Mazzella (Highland) 12-3; 152 pounds: Kyle Halladay (Chenango Valley) pin Kevin Palko (Tri-Valley) 1:26; 160 pounds: Austin Weigel (Onteora) dec. Tyler Keear (Geneva) 9-1; 170 pounds: Geno Brancati (Hudson Falls) dec. Aidan Mathews (Marlboro) 11-2; 182 pounds: Andy Martinez (Liberty) pin Chris Roufanis (Cold Spring Harbor) 3:04; 195 pounds: Hunter Ayen (Gouverneur) pin Dustin Mackenzie (Onteora) 0:35; 220 pounds: Dan Breit (Nanuet) dec. Jesse Corcoran (Eldred-Fallsburg) 8-4; 285 pounds: Nathan Sarkin (Ogdensburg Free Academy) pin Troy Grant (New Paltz) 1:25.
99 pounds: Yianni Diakomihalis (Hilton) dec. Chris Cuccolo (Pine Bush) 5-0; 106 pounds: Alex Tanzman (Westhampton Beach) dec. Evan Barzcack (Monroe-Woodbury) 8-3; 113 pounds: Dylan Booth (Port Jervis) dec. John Stramiello (Pine Bush) 7-0; 126 pounds: Fredrick Dunau (St. Anthony’s) dec. Mike Raccioppi (Minisink Valley) 1-0; 132 pounds: Brandon Lapi (Amsterdam) dec. Chris Truglio (Minisink Valley) 2-0; 152 pounds: Dan DeCarlo (Port Jervis) pin Nate Schwab (Clarence) 6:53; 160 pounds: Steve Schneider (MacArthur) dec. Travis Edwards (Port Jervis) 1-0; 170 pounds: A.J. Voelker (Monroe-Woodbury) dec. Cedrick Stephens (Wingate Educational Complex) 8-5; 220 pounds: Nicholas Lupi (Huntington) dec. Josh Bonneau (Minisink Valley) 3-2; 285 pounds: Mike Manni (Tappan Zee) dec. Terrence Cheeks (Newburgh Free Academy) 2-0.
160 pounds: Mike Beckwith (Greene) dec. Austin Weigel (Onteora) 7-0; 182 pounds: Tim Schaefer (Warsaw) pin Andy Martinez (Liberty) 0:21.
They’re going to be doing wrestlebacks for some time now and I’m going to get working on my stories. You can find updated brackets here: http://www.nysphsaawrestling.com/results.php
7:00 p.m. update: I’m running home now, but I will have some video and wrestleback agate later tonight on the blog…hopefully. See you tomorrow for tomorrow’s semifinals starting at 10 a.m.
If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to reach me on Twitter: @THR_Montgomery.