Here is the video from Saturday’s action at the New York State wrestling championships. The post below has plenty of information, as will Sunday’s Times Herald-Record, which will be packed with wrestling stories.
Thanks for reading this weekend. I’ll be bringing you updates from the Section 9 girls’ basketball tournament all this week, so stay tuned for that.
ALBANY – Will Montgomery back matside at the Times Union Center.
- Dylan Booth lost his 113-pound semifinal match, a 9-3 decision to top-seeded Kyle Kelly of Chenango Forks. Booth will still have wrestleback matches coming up.
- In 99-pound consolation matches, Monroe-Woodbury’s Vinny Vespa won his match with a 2-1 decision. Pine Bush’s Chris Cuccolo lost a tough match in overtime.
- At 113 pounds, Pine Bush’s John Stramiello was a 7-5 winner in his consolation match.
- In Division II, Highland’s Austin Ingraham, one of two Section 9 wrestlers to make it to the second day, won his first consolation match, a 6-5 decision over Olean’s Andrew Marra.
- In a 126-pound consolation match, Minisink Valley’s Mike Raccioppi lost to Chenango Forks;’ Jacob Green in a 6-1 decision.
- In a 132-pound consolation match, Washingtonville’s Bryan Mongiello lost to Marcus Popp of Niagara Wheatfield, 3-2.
- Red Hook’s Matt Rauch was eliminated in Division II, losing a 7-2 decision to Brandon Muntz in the consolation quarterfinals at 126 pounds.
- In a 152-pound Division I semifinal, Port Jervis junior Dan DeCarlo lost to top-seeded Corey Rasheed of Longwood, 5-0.
- Monroe-Woodbury’s A.J. Voelker was pinned in 4:53 in his semifinal match against John Vrasidas of St. Anthony’s. Voelker led 2-0 after one period, but was slowed by what looked like a right knee injury in the second period. Vrasidas was leading 4-2 at the time of the pin.
- Minisink Valley’s Josh Bonneau was a 2-1 winner in his consolation bout at 220 pounds.
- Newburgh Free Academy’s Terrence Cheeks lost his match, a 7-5 decision in overtime, at 285 pounds.
- We have seven wrestlers from Section 9 still alive and with a chance to place at states. They are: Vinny Vespa (Monroe-Woodbury), Dylan Booth (Port Jervis), John Stramiello (Pine Bush), Dan DeCarlo (Port Jervis), A.J. Voelker (Monroe-Woodbury),Josh Bonneau (Minisink Valley) and in Division II, Austin Ingraham (Highland).
- From the consolation semifinals: Vinny Vespa lost a 5-0 decision. He’ll wrestle for 5/6th place.
- Booth lost by pin in 1:55. He’ll wrestle for 5/6th place.
- Highland’s Austin Ingraham loses his 113-pound consolation in a 3-0 decision. He’ll wrestle for 5/6th place.
- Pine Bush’s John Stramiello lost a 3-1 decision in overtime, meaning he’ll wrestle booth in the 5/6th place consolation final in the next round.
- A.J. Voelker had an epic, gritty win in the consolation semis at 170. His right knee now wrapped about hurting it in the semis this morning, he rallied to beat Queensbury’s Franky Nassivera, 5-4. Voelker is limping around and can barely walk, but he’ll wrestle in the 3/4th place match in the next round.
- Josh Bonneau comes from behind late in the third period to win his consolation semi match with a 4-1 decision. He and Voelker are Section 9′s only wrestlers going for third/fourth place. The rest go for fifth/sixth.
- Sorry for the delay…they kick everyone out of the building after the consolation matches wrap up. To recap: Vinny Vespa was 5th in the state, Dylan Booth 5th, John Stramiello 6th, Dan DeCarlo 5th, A.J. Voelker 4th, Josh Bonneau 4th and Austin Ingraham 6th.
State wrestling results – Saturday
113 pounds: Kyle Kelly (Chenango Forks) dec. Dylan Booth (Port Jervis) 9-3; 152 pounds: Corey Rasheed (Longwood) dec. Dan DeCarlo (Port Jervis) 5-0, 170 pounds: John Vrasidas (St. Anthony’s) pin A.J. Voelker (Monroe-Woodbury) 4:53.
99 pounds: Kelan McKenna (New Hartford) dec. Chris Cuccolo (Pine Bush) 1-0 (2 OT); Vinny Vespa (Monroe-Woodbury) dec. John Arceri (Huntington) 2-1; 113 pounds: John Stramiello (Pine Bush) dec. Benjamin Lamantia (St. Anthony’s) 7-5; 126 pounds: Jacob Green (Chenango Forks) dec. Mike Raccioppi (Minisink Valley) 6-1; 132 pounds: Marcus Popp (Niagara Wheatfield) dec. Bryan Mongiello (Washingtonville) 3-2;
113 pounds: Austin Ingraham (Highland) dec. Andrew Marra (Olean) 6-5; 126 pounds: Brandon Muntz (Falconer) dec. Matt Rauch (Red Hook) 7-2.
99 pounds: Jesse Dellavecchia (East Islip) dec. Vinny Vespa (Monroe-Woodbury) 5-0; 113 pounds: Bryan Lantry (Wayne) pin Dylan Booth (Port Jervis) 1:55; Steven Sewkumar (Long Beach) dec. John Stramiello (Pine Bush) 3-1 (OT); 152 pounds: Joe Mastro (Yorktown) dec. Dan DeCarlo (Port Jervis) 5-0; 170 pounds: A.J. Voelker (Monroe-Woodbury) dec. Franky Nassivera (Queensbury) 5-4; 220 pounds: Josh Bonneau (Minisink Valley) dec. Jenard Rosemound (Calhoun) 4-1.
113 pounds: Austin Keough (Warsaw) dec. Austin Ingraham (Highland) 3-0.
170 pounds: Dan McDevitt (Wantagh) tech. fall A.J. Voelker (Monroe-Woodbury) 16-0; 220 pounds: Nicholas Lupi (Huntington) dec. Josh Bonneau (Minisink Valley) 5-3 (OT).
99 pounds: Vinny Vespa (Monroe-Woodbury) dec. Kelan McKenna (New Hartford) 2-0; 113 pounds: Dylan Booth (Port Jervis) dec. John Stramiello (Pine Bush) 5-3; 152 pounds: Dan DeCarlo (Port Jervis) dec. Konstantin Parifiryev (James Madison) 5-0..
113 pounds: Ralph Mateo (Midlakes) pin Austin Ingraham (Highland) 2:58.
We have three wrestlers alive in the semifinal round today, which begins at 10 a.m. Port Jervis juniors Dylan Booth (113 pounds) and Dan DeCarlo (152 pounds) and Monroe-Woodbury senior A.J. Voelker (170 pounds) won both of their matches yesterday. I will bring you updates from their matches throughout the morning. Should any of them win in the semis, they’ll advance to the state semifinals tonight at 6 p.m. If you have Time Warner Cable, the semis and finals will be broadcast on TV. Check your local listings…
We also have a number of Section 9 wrestlers alive in the wrestleback rounds. Here is a list:
99 pounds: Chris Cuccolo (Pine Bush) and Vinny Vespa (Monroe-Woodbury)
113 pounds: John Stramiello (Pine Bush)
126 pounds: Mike Raccioppi (Minisink Valley)
132 pounds: Bryan Mongiello (Washingtonville)
220 pounds: Josh Bonneau (Minisink Valley)
285 pounds: Terrence Cheeks (Newburgh Free Academy)
113 pounds: Austin Ingraham (Highland)
126 pounds: Matt Rauch (Red Hook)
Here are some links to coverage in today’s Times Herald-Record:
Here’s a video with highlights and interviews from day one of the state tournament:
Any questions or comments? Hit me up on Twitter: @THR_Montgomery