Thanks for following along tonight. Check out the full stories on Thursday in the Times Herald-Record and on www.Varsity845.com.
LOCH SHELDRAKE – Will Montgomery here at Paul Gerry Fieldhouse on the campus of SUNY Sullivan.
No. 1 Eldred vs. No. 2 Livingston Manor, Section 9 Class D girls’ basketball championship game, 5:30 p.m.
- We’re on track to tip off at 5:30.
- At the end of the first quarter, Livingston Manor leads, 6-4.
- 5:16 left in the second quarter, Eldred calls timeout with Manor leading, 9-6.
- Samantha Scott drains a trey as Manor expands the lead to 15-6. Another Eldred timeout with 1:25 left until halftime.
- Halftime: Livingston Manor 17, Eldred 8. Manor’s Imani Miranda leading the way with six points. Samantha Scott has four. Ami Calo has three points and five boards for the Wildcats. Nicole Elvin, Julia Wilk and Erin Angus have two points apiece for an Eldred team that’s struggling to find its shot. These teams played exactly one week ago, with Eldred winning, 38-30.
- Manor timeout with 2:12 left in the third quarter. Wildcats lead, 21-13. Samantha Scott has been on the bench with four fouls since there was 5:39 left in the third.
- End third quarter: Livingston Manor 21, Eldred 15. With Devon Dutcher now with four fouls as well for Manor, it might be time for Eldred to make a comeback here. Eight minutes left in this one.
- Eldred timeout with 5:33 left in the fourth. Manor leads, 23-17. Eldred’s Julia Wilk went down with what looked like a left knee injury early in the quarter. I’d say her return is doubtful at this point. Could be a blow to the Yellow Jackets.
- Eldred’s Nicole Elvin now down with what looks like a right ankle injury. Manor leads 23-17 with 5:05 to play. Things getting bad for Eldred.
- FINAL: Livingston Manor 26, Eldred 19. Manor heads to the state final four for the second straight season.
No. 2 John A. Coleman Catholic vs. No. 4 Eldred, Section 9 Class D boys’ basketball championship game, 7 p.m.
- We’re going to tip off way late here, probably at about 7:40 p.m.
- Eldred timeout with 3:21 left in the first. Coleman leads, 8-5.
- End first quarter: Coleman Catholic 14, Eldred 11.
- 6:06 left in the second, Coleman leads, 19-12. Coleman already in the bonus and headed to the line now. Eldred timeout.
- 3:32 left in the second, Eldred timeout. Coleman has expanded its lead to 29-14. Starting to run away with this one. Eldred in a ton of foul trouble. Coleman already in the double bonus, Nick Dilles was crushing it on the boards for Eldred, but he’s been on the bench with three fouls since 6:06 in the quarter.
- Halftime: Coleman leads, 32-18. Coleman won the second quarter, 18-7.
- Coleman timeout with 7:08 left in the third. Statesmen leading, 37-18.
- Game starting to get out of control. Coleman’s Doug Terrone whistled on an intentional foul. Eldred’s Nick Dilles has already fouled out. Coleman leads 42-21 with 4:48 left in the third.
- Coleman has al but wrapped this one up. Statesmen leading 46-21 with 2:41 left in the third quarter.
- End third quarter: Coleman leads, 57-23. Coleman won the third quarter, 25-5.
- FINAL: Coleman Catholic 74, Eldred 31.
I was hoping to bring you live updates from tonight’s Section 9 Class D girls’ and boys’ basketball championship games, but there is no place for me to set up my laptop during the games. Since there is a lack of media accommodations here, I’ll try to bring you updates at halftime and at the end of the games.
Check back later tonight, as I also hope to post video highlights and interviews from the games as well.
In the girls’ game, No. 1 Eldred and No. 2 Livingston Manor will meet for the third time this month. They’ve split the series so far and finished tied for the OCIAA Division VI title. Livingston Manor is the defending Section 9 champion. The winner automatically advances to the state semifinals, as there are no Class D teams competing in Sections 1, 8 or 11 this season.
In the boys’ game, it’s No. 2 John A. Coleman Catholic against No. 4 Eldred, which upset No. 1 Chapel Field in the semifinals. It’s Coleman Catholic’s seven straight appearance in a Section 9 final. The winner plays the Section 1 champion in the first round of the state playoffs.
I’ll also post updates on Twitter: @THR_Montgomery.