NEW PALTZ – Will Montgomery here courtside at the Hawk Center on the campus of SUNY New Paltz. I’ll be bringing you live updates from the Section 9 boys’ and girls’ basketball championships tonight.
I also hope to post a video on top of this blog later tonight, so be sure to check back for that.
For full coverage of the games, check out Saturday’s Times Herald-Record and Varsity845.com.
No. 1 Chester vs. No. 3 Tuxedo, Section 9 Class C girls’ championship, 5:30 p.m.
- Chester is looking for the program’s first Section 9 title. Chester won both regular season meetings against Tuxedo en route to a perfect season in OCIAA Division V.
- Early in the first, Tuxedo leads, 5-2.
- END FIRST: Chester’s Simone Ayers made a steal and a layup in the final seconds to give Chester a 10-9 lead after one quarter.
- Tuxedo calls first timeout of the game with 4:48 left in the second quarter. Chester leads, 17-16. Good game so far.
- Chester up 22-20 with 1:14 left in the first half. Mardelle Jean going to the line to complete a 3-point play.
- HALFTIME: Chester takes a 23-22 lead into halftime. Chester has done a great job making Tuxedo’s star player Kaylah Pinkney a non-factor. Pinkey picked up two early fouls and spent most of the second quarter on the bench. Pinkey was held scoreless and without a rebound in the first half. All other nine players that appeared in the first half for Tuxedo had at least one rebound apiece. Chester’s Simone Ayers is leading the way with eight points. Gabby Nouri has a game-high 10 points for Tuxedo.
- Chester scores the first five points of the third quarter, forcing a Tuxedo timeout. Chester 28, Tuxedo 22. 7:21 left in the third.
- Tuxedo responds with a 4-point run, forcing a Chester timeout. Chester 28, Tuxedo 26. 5:28 left in the third.
- Tuxedo timeout with 4:22 left in the third. Chester 30, Tuxedo 28.
- END THIRD QUARTER: Tuxedo has pulled ahead, 37-35. Eight minutes to go.
- Chester timeout with 5:39 left in the fourth. Game is tied, 39-39.
- Tuxedo timeout with 4:29 left in the fourth quarter. Chester leads, 41-39. Mardelle Jean with six points this quarter – but she’s also 0-for-4 from the foul line this quarter. Chester is 4-of-16 from the line today – would be a much different game if they made some foul shots.
- Chester timeout with 1:44 to go. Tuxedo leads 46-45 and Pinkney is at the line for one more shot coming out of the timeout. Starting center Amanda Schembri has fouled out and Mardelle Jean has four fouls for Chester.
- Jean fouls out with 1:22 to go.
- Chester timeout with 43 seconds to go. Tuxedo leads, 49-47. Chester’s two senior leaders have both fouled out. Tuxedo ball out of the timeout.
- Tuxedo timeout with 0:12 to go. Tuxedo up 51-48 with Chester’s Marcella Brosnan at the line for one more out of the timeout.
- Chester timeout with 0:09 left. Tuxedo up 52-49 and Denise Morgan at the line for one more out of the timeout.
- FINAL: Tuxedo 52, Chester 49.
No. 1 S.S. Seward vs. No. 2 Pine Plains, Section 9 Class C boys’ championship, 7 p.m.
- Pine Plains is the No. 1-ranked team in the state, but they’re the No. 2 seed in the Section 9 tournament. Pine Plains has won two straight Section 9 Class C titles. Seward won the section title the year before that.
- Just over one minute in, Pine Plains leads, 6-0. Seward timeout. 6:57 left in the first.
- Pine Plains starts the game on a 10-0 run.
- With 40 seconds left in the first, Seward calls timeout. Pine Plains leads, 16-2.
- With 5:23 left in the second quarter, Pine Plains leads 25-4. That’s not a typo.
- With 1:57 left in the second, Pine Plains leads, 38-9. Yep.
- HALFTIME: Pine Plains 41, S.S. Seward 11. Tyler Lydon has 17 points, seven rebounds, three blocks and two assists. Justin Cooper has seven points and five assists. Seward’s Jake Kinley leads the way for the Spartans with seven points.
- With 4:50 left in the third quarter, Pine Plains leads, 52-12.
- END THIRD QUARTER: Pine Plains 58, S.S. Seward 23. Pine Plains has been playing four subs and one starter since midway through the third.
- FINAL: Pine Plains 68, S.S. Seward 41.
If you’ve got any questions or comments, get at me on Twitter: @THR_Montgomery.