1. Monroe-Woodbury (4-0): With starting QB Kevin Carr nursing a bad shoulder, Monroe-Woodbury might roll out sophomore Ryan O’Malley to call the shots. Either way, M-W is in good shape.
2. Newburgh (3-1): After connecting for two touchdown passes last week against Washingtonville, QB Donovan Fields to WR Jalen Williams might be heating up.
3. Pine Bush (3-1): You don’t find players in Section 9 as gritty as DL Scott Flanick. Makes sense. His uncle is former Pine Bush star Mike Kiselak, who went on to play for the Dallas Cowboys.
4. Cornwall (3-1): In two wins, Cornwall’s first-team defense hasn’t given up a point to Class A opponents – Port Jervis and Monticello.
5. Warwick (3-1): Some at Warwick are pining for a bump in the rankings after last week’s 48-26 win over Kingston. I hear where they are coming from, but this is what we’re going with for now.
6. Marlboro (4-0): The Dukes take on Spackenkill on Saturday in a rematch of the last two Class B championships – both won by Marlboro. This game will have far less drama. Marlboro wins easily.
7. Wallkill (3-1): Say Wallkill falls behind Monticello early this week – which likely won’t happen – that would mean the comeback kids would have Monticello right where they want them.
8. Roosevelt (3-1): It’s time for prime time – Roosevelt at Cornwall on Friday in a Class A showdown.
9. Kingston (1-3): Kingston has given up an average of 41 points per game in three losses this year – Cornwall, Warwick, Holy Cross. I still think the Tigers could be a tough out at Dietz Stadium. Pine Bush visits Kingston on Friday.
10. New Paltz (3-1): Starting quarterback Harrison Zraly (shoulder injury) is questionable for showdown with Highland on Friday.
1. James I. O’Neill (4-0): O’Neill’s run at No. 1 could be coming to an end with streaking Millbrook staring down the two-time defending Section 9 Class C champ on Friday.
2. Chester (2-1): The Hambletonians had a bye last week and, now, start to say bye, bye to the rest of Class D. Chester opens its league schedule with Roscoe-Livingston Manor-Downsville on Friday.
3. Millbrook (4-0): Millbrook is averaging just under 50 points per game and hasn’t scored less than 38 yet.
4. Burke Catholic (3-1): The Eagles could have a replay of their 54-0 win over Onteora against winless Pine Plains this week.
5. Liberty (2-2): One of the fiercest rivalries in Section 9 – a Sullivan County showdown – pits Liberty vs. Sullivan West.