AUSTIN, Texas – The Texas Longhorns defeated the Army Black Knights 5-0 in the second game of the NCAA Softball Austin Regional on Friday at Red &Charline McCombs Field. A three-run home run from junior Mandy Ogle and sacrifice flies from freshman StephanieCeo and junior Taylor Thom provided the offense as seniors Blaire Luna and Kim Bruins allowed only three hits.
Luna started in the circle for the Longhorns and allowed one hit in three innings and struck out five-straight Black Knights at one point. Bruins (10-0) recorded the win, striking out three and only allowing two hits in four innings.
Morgan Lashley (29-13) recorded the loss for Army. Lashley pitched six innings and allowed five runs off of five hits and two walks.
With two outs in the bottom of the first inning, Texas mounted a rally and took a 3-0 lead. Thom singled through the left side to start the offense. Bruins was walked and Ogle followed with a three-run homer to left to give the Longhorns the advantage.
After Luna struck out the Army side in the top of the second, Gabby Smith hit a double to left center with one out in the bottom of the frame for the Longhorns. A wild pitch allowed Smith to take third base and she came home on a Ceo sacrifice fly to deep right field and improve the Texas lead to 4-0.
Luna continued her strikeout streak and fanned the first two Army batters in the top of the third inning before a foul out to catcher Ogle ended the half inning.
Brejae Washington opened the bottom of the third for Texas with a triple off of the wall in left and scored on a Thom sacrifice fly, making it a 5-0 Texas edge. Two groundouts closed the inning.
In the top of the seventh, the Army offense saw a spark with consecutive singles from Kasey McCravey and Alex Reynolds. Nothing came of it, though, as the Longhorn defense forced three consecutive outs to close the contest.
Texas will face South Carolina at noon ET on Saturday with the game televised live on Longhorn Network. Army will play Houston at 3 p.m. ET in a game to be aired on ESPN3.com.
- It is the second time that Army met Texas in an opening round at the NCAA tournament. Army bowed 4-0 to Texas at the 2002 Norman (Okla.) Regional.
- Senior Taylor Hoagland holds a .623 on-base percentage this season. The UT single-season record is .510, by Lexy Bennett in 2011. The Big 12 Conference mark is .594 by Amber Flores (Oklahoma/2009).
- Hoagland’s walk gave her 170 in her career, two behind Texas A&M’s Megan Gibson (172/2005-08) for the all-time Big 12 mark.
- After her zero-for-three performance at Oklahoma State on May 4, Hoagland is hitting .556 (five-for-nine) with three walks.
- Junior Mandy Ogle’s home run was her fourth of the season, her most in a year during her career.
- Ogle entered the contest with four career RBI during NCAA Tournament action and picked up three with her long ball.
- Junior Brejae Washington has been on a hot streak over the last 14 games, batting .438 (21-for-48) with five runs batted in and 11 scored.
- Freshman Stephanie Ceo picked up her second career sacrifice fly and junior Taylor Thom added the eighth of her career.
- Thom’s sacrifice fly in the bottom of the third gave her 56 runs batted in this season, one shy of the Texas single-year record, set by Lexy Bennett in 2012.
- Thom entered the contest with one career RBI during postseason play.
- Senior Kim Bruins improved to 10-0 with the victory, her most wins in a year in her career.
- The victory was also the 24th of her career, good for sole possession of 10th on the Texas all-time chart.
- Texas’ stolen bases in the first and fifth innings gave the team 110 this season, good for second on the single-season record chart. The 2013 squad is just four behind the 2011 team’s single-year UT record of 114.
- Texas won its opening game of an NCAA Regional for the fourth time in five years.